Tuesday, December 25, 2018

Christmas Fells Walk

I should have blogged about my first walk around the lake, it was really nice and there were students running around it.  There were a couple slightly hilly spots, but for the most part it was pretty flat. It's so pretty. I won't have to go to the Charles, there's a lake!  It took me about an hour and a half to walk around, but that was much longer than it should take.  But, #1 I was texting with a friend. #2 I stopped to look at things, like trees that beavers had chewed, landscaping that looked like it was done by Dr. Seuss, and the really really big houses.  Also, I got lost on campus and couldn't find the parking garage.  I think a good goal would be to be able to run around the lake by spring!  (there are lots of roots and rocks, so it would be a little slower than my usual slow time).

I went to a spin class last week.  It was this fancy one that had flashing lights and it got dark and then the instructor would be lit up, and then she would yell "ha" in time with the music.  There was a board that showed how fast we were going, and I was #17 or 18 for the class.  I passed someone!  The next day my legs were jelly.  The lights and fancy stuff was all well and good, but it didn't fool me.  I was still on a bike, going nowhere.  On the bright side, the class was only 45 minutes.

Today I went for a hike in the Middlesex Fells.  I went from the Shepfold to the tower where you can see Boston, and looped back on the Reservoir trail.  When I hit the Reservoir trail, I accidentally went the wrong way, and walked for a good 10 minutes in the wrong direction.  Awesome.  It was uphill first, so downhill on the way back.  It took me pretty much exactly 3 hours, with only a short stop to admire the view of Boston - since it's pretty cold out. It was a really nice day out, not too cold, sunny...

I spent a lot of the walk thinking about how different a place I'm in this year as opposed to last - I've finished my dissertation, which I hadn't started this time last year. I have a shiny new job waiting in the new year - last year my old job was messing with me a little, and reluctantly giving me a chance because there was no one else.  Last week, though, my interim boss sent me a very nice email, saying that they made an excellent choice in hiring me and he was sure I would do great  :)  So, I did well, even though they didn't expect it of me.  I'm excited for this next year!  And, I am resolved to network.  It's not my favorite thing, like eating vegetables for a kid, but it's important, and I will do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment