Saturday, September 23, 2017

Welch Dicky

I took a break from my usual hiking routine and did a non-400 footer with a friend! Radical!  Fall is coming and they are saying that this will be one of the best fall foliage years in a while based on how the summer was - we decided to go up to NH for a hike. Welch Dicky is one that I've done a few times before, but I love. It's a loop hike with two mountains, four good view points, really pretty valleys, and tons of slab. It's so fun to hike - there's a lot of walking on rock, and one point where the trail goes between two rocks. The whole thing is only 4.4 miles, so it's also not as long as what I'm used to.

Since it was such a beautiful day, and since it's such a nice hike on not too hard a mountain, it was crazy busy. A little too superhighway ish for me, which was the one down side. It seemed like a lot of the hikers were just going up to the first view point, a mile hike, and then coming back. So after that it was a little less crowded, and on the way down it was just me and my friend, which was nice. We could hear the wind, and the acorns dropping.

The first time I met my friend Karen was on a hike with a meet-up group. When we stopped hiking for a break, she pulled out this container of fresh figs to eat. Meanwhile, I was eating a giant pb&j, and in my head was thinking "who the #$%^ brings figs on a hike?"  For this hike she had dried figs and a kale salad. But I've become accustomed to it now :)

Anyhow, it was a really good hike, nice day, I didn't have to drive, and the views were wonderful. It was nice hiking with her, and I should work on getting over my thing about hiking with others. I'll put it on my list of things that I should work on...

No comments:

Post a Comment