Thursday, September 28, 2023

Crystal Lake

I went swimming in a new spot today - Crystal Lake. I've known about the lake for a while, but it seemed really complicated to park, and like swimming was just for residents of the town, and you had to pay. But, it turns out that all ends after Labor Day - today parking was abundant and free! And the lake was nice - small and cute, but the water was clear and it was easy to access and a nice stop on the way home from work.

One of my swim friends posted in messenger that she was going to go there. I had been planning for Walden, but I thought "why not try it?" It's not exactly on the way home from work, but it's only 20 minutes from work, and could be a good location for when sunset is earlier and I can't park at Walden. There is a town beach, but the parking gate was open, there was no charge to park, and it was pretty empty. I asked someone there and he said he's never seen the gate locked. From the lot it was a short walk to the very small beach. 

The lake itself is about a quarter of a mile across in the longest direction, and about .75 mile if you were to swim around the edges. Today I swam across the widest part and back, for about a .5 mile swim. It took about 25 minutes, so maybe I'm getting a little faster? I practiced reaching forward with my hand before the stroke, and making a paddle with my arm.

The water was about 66 degrees, and it felt really cold when we got in. So funny to think that will seem warm in the spring! We chatted and did breast stroke for a little bit, but then I really wanted to get some more fast paced swimming in. We both really liked the lake, and plan to go back! 

No comments:

Post a Comment