Sunday, April 24, 2022

Mt. Major and Straightback

I finally made it to Mt. Straightback! Today the plan was to go to Kittery and hike Mt. Major for my first hike of the season. I woke up at like 9, and seriously considered not doing either, but then I was like "then you have to do parkour," which for some reason I didn't really feel like doing. So, I got off my lazy butt and went. I started at Kittery where I didn't find a single thing that sparked joy, and after two hours of shopping I thought about just heading home. But, thankfully I didn't, because it was so nice out there hiking!

I got to Mt. Major around 1:45, which I knew was fine because the sun goes down at like 7:30, and Major only takes a couple of hours to hike. I started going and felt really good, maybe because I slept until 9? Anyhow, it didn't seem like a difficult hike at all, and I got to the top in about 45 minutes. At the top I sat and admired the view, and ate a banana, which was unfortunately all I had packed to eat. Sitting up top, I was feeling really good and decided that today could be the day to hike Straighback finally, and so I headed off.

The walk from Major to the turn for Straightback was the best part - it was pretty ridgeline like, and slabby. The weather was perfect, still no bugs, and just a really nice walk. I didn't have any problems finding the turns, and got to Straighback in good time. As I sat down to admire the view, I also realized that I was hungry. Fortunately I had a peanut butter in my backpack which was delicious, and a rather disgusting looking power bar, which was not delicious. I ate a few bites and then put it back in my backpack to throw away later. I was still feeling pretty good at Straighback, so I decided to hike back up Major, admire the view for a few more minutes, and then go back down the blue trail (which is really the best.) 

For some reason, I decided to go down the orange trail - I think it was because that was what alltrails thought I was going to hike, and so I did. It's been a while since I did that trail and I forgot how steep it was - My knees were killing me! I did something to my hiking poles last summer and I can't get them to open, so I was poleless. I'm going to have to figure out if I can fix them, or I will have to get knew ones, I was really wishing for some hiking poles.



Anyhow, it's fortunately not too long a hike, and I was back at my car before I knew it. I was so hungry, though, I stopped at this pizza place and when they didn't sell slices I bought a calzone and ate the entire thing driving back. It was so good. And, I regretted eating it after, but only a little. Once again, Mt. Major is a success, a good choice for a first hike of the season - really glad I got off my butt and went.

No comments:

Post a Comment