Monday, December 27, 2021

Ski Day 2

I promised myself that I could have a "Ski Vacation" this winter break, since I can't go anywhere and there isn't really much to do with the more transmissible covid going around. I really don't want covid to ruin my actual vacation in January, so I'm trying to keep it extra safe. Also, I've been hanging with the family, and they are definitely on the conservative side with covid restrictions, so I feel like I should be too. But, skiing is all outdoors, the lifts that I have been on are the open ones, so I think it's fair game.

I went to a new mountain today - Crotched Mountain. It's a kind of unfortunate name, but it was a nice mountain! They have one of the fast lifts, and they have two nice long green trails. Unfortunately, to get to the green trail from the fast lift, you have to go down a blue which was narrow, crowded, and really icy. It was so stressful! I did that trail 6 or 7 times, and then had to switch back to the slower lift one. I was really happy with my skiing - I feel like I'm getting a little bit more of a hang of how to point my skis downhill, bend at ankles, knees and hips - but starting from the ankles, and let my whole feet lead the edging, with knees being an aid. There were a few times when I got going down the hill and I could feel myself getting a good edge and just sailing down - it felt so free! I mean, there were still little kids passing me, but for the first time I actually passed people! 

Crotched Mountain is pretty far from the highway, and getting there took me on some smaller roads, which was fun but also I wasn't excited about driving back in the dark. Combining that with the fact that we did 250 squats in parkour yesterday, and I was done around 3. At that point all I'd had to eat that day was oatmeal and a banana, so I got a huge slice of pizza. mmmm. When I got to my car, my phone didn't get a signal - I was a little nervous because there was no way I would just find my way home. I started by following a car with MA plates and then fortunately the phone got a signal!

No comments:

Post a Comment