Sunday, February 7, 2021

More Skiing and Parkour

I decided to take the day off on Friday so I could go up to NH and spend the day skiing on a little bit bigger mountain. It's been a kind of crappy few weeks (except for the new president/VP, etc, that's been awesome) but I feel like I have to get out in the world a little more, as safely as I can. I figured a Friday of skiing would be pretty safe - not crowded lift lines or slopes. I was a little nervous about the weather because it called for snow showers and potentially rain, but it seemed like it would be OK, and so I decided to go for it. And I was so glad I did!

I went to pat's peak, which I like because it has longer beginner slopes, it's not too long a drive to get to, and you can get a discount voucher from rei. It was a perfect day for skiing - right around 32 degrees out, snowing - but big soft beautiful flakes, and not too many people on the slopes. I didn't haul myself out of bed to get there for the opening, but I started skiing around 10:15, which I was quite pleased with. I started with the long green circles and did several runs. There's this one area that always made me nervous last year, but this year I actually loved it! It could be because of the new snow, and therefore less ice. But, after a while, I realized I could probably do some of the blue squares - and I did! I was pretty psyched with myself - they were kind of similar to the black diamond I did last week. I'm getting a little more comfortable going faster, which I think is key to going down the steeper slopes. Also, the fact that there weren't that many other people was helpful, because I didn't have to worry about steering as much :). I did about six blue squares, including one that I had looked at last year and been sure I would never do! Now I'm addicted and want to go more.

I was at parkour today and we did this really fun activity where we jumped from two feet, turned 180 degrees in the air, landed on two feet on a curb, and then either held it or jumped off and headed back where we came from. Since I used to figure skate, this was actually an activity that I could do, and really enjoyed. And I thought I should practice more because it looked kind of cool. I realize that I should write things down so I remember what I want to practice. So, adding to the blog list - parkour stuff to remember. After we did our breakout sessions for practice, we did endurance where we squatted for 20 minutes without getting up!! OMG that hurt! I made it for about 7 minutes just squatting and then my leg was killing me, so I did some crow pose (which I was pretty psyched about, because I was having trouble with crow recently. But, I guess given the option to continue squatting or do crow, I was able to get it back...) At about 10 minutes I had to plank and down dog for about 30 seconds. And I crabwalked around for a bit. But I didn't stand up, which was good. Nevertheless, I will not be practicing that on my own.

Speaking of down dog, Saturday in parkour we practiced side kongs, and one of my classmates said that she thinks about getting her butt up like in down dog when doing them. And, that really helped! I think I'm super close to doing side kongs - I can do it physically I'm pretty sure, it's just mental. One day I will just forget or not thing about it, and do it. Also, it's on my practice list.

Oh, and also, my knee has been really sore and I'm worried that I will do something that really hurts it, so I went to a physical therapist who said that my tendon is strained and that my knee cap isn't tracking right because I don't use the big muscles in my leg right, partly because of my big toe. And, we will work on it with some boring stretches. And, we can fix it!

No comments:

Post a Comment