Wednesday, October 14, 2020

Mt. Mansfield

                                         

Mt. Mansfield is definitely one of my favorite 4000 footers that I've done, 2 thumbs up, definitely recommend. As I drove to it, I wasn't completely sure. It rained all day the day before I hiked it, and the clouds were still clearing, the mountain looked beautiful, Vermont-like, but also a little intimidating. Don't let it scare you, it was a good one!

 I decided to do a loop hike - I got up and got there with plenty of time. So, I went up Halfway House trail, across the ridgeline on the Long Trail and then down the Sunset Ridge Trail. I was thinking about doing it the other way, but the Sunset Ridge is supposed to be the easiest way up (and therefore down) and Halfway House is steeper, and I was so glad I did Halfway House first. It was steep in a few places, with a slippery ladder, some rocky climbs, and a lot of switchbacking. I really liked the trail going up - it was full of little mossy glens and quiet spots where a moose or bear could (but at the moment happily wasn't) hang out. The trail was a little technical, a little challenging but not too difficult, and just really fun. When I got to the top where it intersected with the Long Trail I felt accomplished, and ate a cheese sandwich, some dried mango slices, and a banana. And then I got to walk about a mile of alpine ridgeline, which I just love so much! It was beautiful and the rocks were so interesting - they looked very scraped up by glaciers. 

The view from the top was really pretty with Lake Champlain, the Adirondacks, and the fall foliage. It was really windy also, and I was pretty hungry, so I sat to eat some more cheese sandwich and some nuts and enjoy the view in the other direction of VT and into NH. 


As I was sitting and enjoying my lunch I noticed it getting colder and colder, and the clouds getting lower and darker. Everyone on top of the mountain started looking up, and then looking at this band of clouds and rain that was flying towards us. And then we all started packing up and jetting off the top of the mountain. 
Looking at the storm, it seemed fast moving and thin, like it would pass over and move on. There was this one couple that was so close to the summit and they were like "is it exposed up there?" Sorry folks, yes, it is. And, here is what was coming towards us:

I walked as fast as I could to get lower down until I could see the weather coming upon me, and then I found a nice rock ledge to hide under while the storm passed overhead. There was actually hail! As well as rain. Thankfully it continued to move fast, and it was gone in less than 5 minutes, and the sun was back out. Most of the mountain became beautiful again, though I did notice clouds hanging around parts of it:


Sunset ridge trail down was so nice. I definitely recommend it. For a long way it was exposed rock and ridgeline. It was all wet, unfortunately, so it was a little slippery. It was still fun, but would have been super fun on a dry day! I really enjoyed going down it, though at a certain point it had a lot of big steps and I dinged my knee, which started to hurt. Anyhow, the rest of the way down was fine, and actually the first and last mile were basically an access road - a steep access road, and some trail. I got back to my car, changed my shoes, and was so lame - I drove about 100 feet to get closer to the bathrooms! Ha! Highly recommend this hike for sure - the sources online say it's the best 4000 footer in VT, and I believe it.


No comments:

Post a Comment