This was my second time doing the tripyramids - it's a pretty intense but fun route, I would do it again, but probably not for a while. I did it yesterday and today I'm beat! I'm working my training for Huntington Ravine, and I have to say that this one did feel easier than the last two (Holt trail and Cap's Ridge) mostly I think because it was a little cooler out, I wore shorts, brought my bike for the road walk part, and brought gatoraid with electrolytes and potato chips. All things I will plan to do for Huntington's.
Two days ago was my birthday and once again I celebrated with Shakespeare in the Park with some friends. They did Midsummer Night's Dream, which I've seen them do before. This version was so different - I like how creative they are in keeping with the classic play, but also adapting it. Anyhow, I got home around 11 and decided to sleep in a little - I got up at 7 ish and headed out a little before 8 because I hadn't packed. Which was possible to do because #1 it's still getting dark pretty late and #2 I brought my folding bike and rode it up the gravel road to where the loop ends. I was so glad I did that!
The start of the hike isn't nothing - I started at 10:15 on my bike and it took me about 40 minutes to get the 2.6 miles to the loop. It's over 400 feet of elevation gain on a gravel road to get to the real start of the hike. A friend of mine told me she rode her bike there, and I thought it was so brilliant! There were a few times that I had to get off and walk my bike up on the way in, but for the most part it was a little uphill but not too bad. I did bring my bike lock (and the key - imagine forgetting the key and having to walk back to the car for it, and then having to walk back to the bike!!) though I didn't really think it was necessary. When I got to the start of the loop I saw I wasn't the only one with that idea - there were about a half dozen other bikes there.
From that point it's another mile on the gravel road, which was kind of uphill, but not bad. It was kind of a nice stroll in the woods, and I enjoyed it. Once you turn off the road the path follows a pretty brook for a little bit before getting REAL. It was about noon by that point and I was getting hungry. I knew if I did the hike without eating something I would be sorry, so I stopped and sat on a rock and ate this delicious and probably very junkie power bar while getting mentally prepared for the climb. At first it follows a narrow path over the rocks, but soon it spreads out to the North Slide, which is both the most fun and most intense part. Once I got there I put my hiking poles away and did a lot of slabby climbing on hands and feet. Because I am preparing for Huntington's I didn't take the easiest way, I looked for places that were a little exposed and a little rock climby, and I have to say it made the hike both more fun and more exhausting. I did actually pass a couple, with a woman who was struggling with the climbing parts! Anyhow, the slide took me about an hour and a half to get up, mostly because I did have to stop and breathe a lot. And plan my route. There were one or two spots that kind of sketched me out, but I think they were avoidable if I had gone to the side. There were a couple times that I thought I was getting close to the top, but wasn't. Eventually, though, it started flattening out a bit and there were a couple of cairns that directed you off to the side.
From my previous time hiking I remember the top of the slide being the best view point. It was really nice up there with a beautiful view. The weather was really perfect, with some clouds and a little breeze, but not too hot. There was a big rock near the top that of course I had to climb on to rest. I called it "potato chip rock" because I opened my pringles and chowed down. I sat there for about a half hour and during that time a solo woman came up as well as the couple. The woman was like "I was so terrified" and the woman of the couple was like "that's a one and done for me." Which was interesting for me because I hadn't really been nervous, mostly because I was so busy planning my route that I didn't really look down - a strategy that I recommend. A couple times when I was on a little bit of a ledge I did look down and though "this would be a bad place to fall." Anyhow, we chatted a bit, I ate half my can of chips, and enjoyed the view. The picture below is from the rock, I was too in the zone to take a photo while hiking.
There were still three peaks to hit, so after about a half hour I headed out. It turned out that the cairns and potato chip rock were all near the end of the slab, and soon I was in the woods headed up to North Tripyramid, which was no joke. I think it took about 45 minutes to get the rest of the way up - it's a viewless peak so I just tagged it and headed down. I do like a good ridgeline, and this one was really nice, so I enjoyed the walk to middle tripyramid which I didn't realize was the second 4000 footer - I thought south was. So when the trail went crazy uphill I was sad. But it wasn't that bad. I didn't see the viewpoint from middle, though I know I ate lunch there when I did it 9 years ago. Maybe it's become overgrown? Anyhow, I decided not to stop and just keep going to south, which was definitely uphill but not bad.
From the top of south you start the steep descent. Because I didn't see the viewpoint at the top, I decided to sit on a rock at the top of the slide to eat my sandwich. I'd brought PB&J, with the jam I'd made from my raspberries from my garden, and it was delicious! The view from the top of south isn't as big as the one from north, and it's in a different direction so you can't see all the tall peaks you've hiked and feel like a bad ass, but still it was really nice and I enjoyed eating and viewing.
The way down is just as hard as the way up, and took me just as long. There was a lot of butt sliding though fortunately this time I didn't tare the seat of my pants :) At the top I put my hiking poles away so I could fully use my hands, but about half way down it became much more skree, and so I took them back out because I could walk again. By the bottom my legs and knees were killing me! I was so glad to see a real trail again, and to go down at a little slower pace.
The last bit is a really pretty walk in the woods. If you hadn't just done that crazy hike you would think it was just a lovely little path. For the most part I enjoyed being in the woods and feeling good about what I'd accomplished, though I have to confess I was so excited to see my bike. Riding my bike out was amazing. I barely had to pedal, I just got on and went downhill. The folding bike has tires that aren't quite as fat as a mountain bike, but are good enough for a gravel road and it did really well on the trail. There was one place where it was a little sandy where I slid around a bit, but it was totally fine. I passed two couples who were hiking out and got to ring my gnome bell at them. At the very end of the trail there was a couple standing there, right by the parking lot, blocking the trailhead. I rang my bell at them and they looked at me like I was the jerk, but believe me I was giving them the same look. Anyhow, it took 15 minutes to do the last 2.6 miles - highly recommend! I folded up my bike, put it in the back of my car, changed my shoes and headed out.
I was a little low on gas and it's cheaper in NH anyhow, so I stopped for some gas and food. I was trying to decide what to eat and noticed this pizza place and thought "I wonder if they sell slices," when I noticed a neon sign that said "slices". Which I knew would be better than whatever I got in the gas station. When I looked at the "slice" though it was actually a small pizza cut into 4 little triangles, which was perfect for eating while I was driving home. I got a drink at the gas station because I'd gone through all my water and headed out. Really good hike, fun day, but totally exhausting. Today I'm meeting a friend in the park for a jazz festival - we are going to bring a blanket and picnic, and I think that is going to be the perfect speed for me.



No comments:
Post a Comment