Monday, August 12, 2024

Perseids on Mt Kearsarge North

My first 4000 footer was hiking Mt. Osceola, camping overnight and watching the meteor shower. At the time I was pretty unprepared, didn't have enough layers and was freezing all night. I went with a meetup because I wasn't experienced enough to go alone. It was nice, but I didn't see a lot of meteors and I've always thought it would be good to try a do-over. This year I thought I would give it a shot!

I invited some friends to come with me. A few of them found other meteor shower things to do, and one said she would come, but then bailed. So, I did it solo - IDK why I try otherwise. I was kind of glad I did it solo because for some reason I overpacked (probably remembering the last time) and my pack was really heavy, and therefore I was pretty slow. I decided on Kearsarge North because there's a fire tower up top where you can sleep and there's a good view from the top - you really aren't meant to camp out on a lot of the open peaks. I had done Kearsarge N a number of years ago and remember it being hard but really nice views from the top. And, that's how it was.

I got to sleep in and leave a bit late because it's only a 3 mile hike up. Because of this I packed the day of, which I think was a mistake. I didn't need a tent, and I decided not to bring my jetboil, so I took a canned coffee drink and premade oatmeal. Plus an apple and a banana - all heavy! And my sleeping bag liner that I didn't use. plus two sleep pads where I only used one. And, I forgot that one of my sleep pads (the one I didn't use) has a pillow, and brought an extra. I did use my smartwool long underware, ninja hoodie, athleta pants, big puff, wool hat, gloves and two pairs of wool socks. And my kindle (though I didn't need the case, which I brought.) I also brought a change of underware which is kind of a luxury. I was a little worried about water on the way up, which I didn't need to be because there was a huge puddle under the fire tower (though it had just rained).

Anyhow, the hike up was slow and steady. The entire way up was pretty unrelenting up hill, with almost no spots where it was flat. The only really bad part, though, was when I got to the sign that shows that you are a quarter mile from the top - I thought I would hit the top in the next 15 minutes, but the trail actually didn't go as the crow flies, and it took forever! I was so glad to see the tower up top - I really wanted to stop hiking and eat something. Of course, as I got up there I saw 4 little kids, one who looked like she was about 4 and was wearing those light up velcro shoes. Ha! Keeps you humble.

I went to the tower to find a spot to lay out my stuff, and it was pretty full. Fortunately everyone was thoughtful in laying out their bags, so I was able to squish in, but I wasn't so psyched. Then I went to the "toilet" (two walls and then a box with a hole in it and a seat cover. Not glam, but I used it anyhow). Then I cleaned up a little, changed my clothes, and found a place to eat. I'd stopped on the drive up and got pretzels and hummus (also heavy) and chowed down. It was the best hummus ever. The view there is so nice, and I enjoyed looking at all the high peeks, and remembering that I had hiked the tallest ones. 

As it started getting dark I went back and gathered all my stuff together and got set for the meteor shower. The kids fell asleep, but everyone else was sitting out watching - I saw about a half dozen, but then the clouds came in. I wasn't really tired, so I wrapped up in my sleeping bag and read on my kindle, stopping to see if the clouds parted every now and then. Then for a while I just lay out and looked at the sky, seeing an occasional meteor. There were also these weird flashes of white and red, that I learned after were part of the Northern Lights! But, I couldn't see them in their entirety because of the clouds. In the end I saw about a dozen meteors and slept for less than two hours. I tried going inside at about 430 am, but couldn't really sleep so gave up after about a half hour and went outside to watch the sunrise - that was amazing - there were clouds below and a beautiful sunrise. There were 4 of us watching the sun come up, and I ate all my remaining heavy food - it was really nice. 

I had to work at 2, and I was a little worried that it would be hard to get back, but it was no problem. I left the top around 6:30 am after spending plenty of time appreciating the view and the fire tower. The hike down was much easier because my pack was lighter and, though there were a few steep and rocky spots, it was mostly just a steady downhill. I got down, bought a big coffee and a bagel with cream cheese in North Conway, and drove home. I had enough time to unpack, take a shower, and eat some real food before I had to start working. All and all, nice hike, tough and unrelenting but no killer stretches. Would do again.

Oh, yes, and when I got home I started noticing that my throat was a little scratchy and I felt sniffly. Turns out I have a cold - glad I didn't sleep inside because I don't think I will have given it to anyone, but also may explain my slow progress uphill in part.

No comments:

Post a Comment