Sunday, April 21, 2024

Triangle swim

Today I did my second triangle swim of the season - three of us went to the point, across the lake and then back to the beach. The swim is about a half a mile, but I am pretty sure I made it longer by not swimming in a straight line. I mean, I was really off course several times.

I started the day with geriatric parkour, which I think I'm going to continue with - it's fun and the people are cool and my knees are hurting a lot less in this class than the regular one. But, it hurts my ego a little bit. We are back at the school across the street from my home, so it's silly to not go when it's so close. And, I have to say, the class is a little more chill than the other one, but still a workout.

Later in the day I met six friends at the beach and three of us did the swim to the point and then across the lake. It was pretty windy and cloudy today, which made it hard to get into the water and difficult to get going. I felt like I was pulling and pulling on the way to the point, but going nowhere. But finally I made it there, with only a little swallowed water. When we got there, we were all trying to decide if we wanted to swim across the lake with the waves, but tbh I was feeling pretty good - the water temp is about 55/56 and it's warmer than the air, so I was like "let's do it!" So we did. 

Swimming across the lake I got super off track and kept looking up wondering where i was. It didn't help that my goggles were completely fogged. I tried to work on stretching out, especially with my left hand, not turning my head too far (sometimes I can breathe and half of my mouth is still in the water, but I do that thing where I only open my mouth on the out of water side), and really pulling on the pull. I feel like sometimes I can go faster by really focusing on the pull (I guess that's not surprising, but there it is). According to my fitbit we swam for 23 minutes, which isn't bad for me for a half mile. 

Yesterday my family all met at a deli in CT for lunch, which is something we do about once a year. It's nice to have everyone together, but at the same time it's a lot of driving. I wound up taking my nephew home, and so I was driving for about 3.5 hours for the day. After I got home I decided to head to the dock for a quick dip, which turned into a swim - the water was so flat it was amazing! After I finished, as I was drying off, a bald eagle landed at the end of the dock and proceeded to eat dinner. It was so cool!

The first race that I'm signed up for is the landshark, and that's in 6 weeks. I have to work up to 1.2 miles. So, practice is important now.

No comments:

Post a Comment