Saturday, December 23, 2023

Coyote in the fells

It's now officially winter swimming! I did 1/4 mile yesterday and 1/4 mile today. I've really set my sites on doing the 200 meter at the winter swim festival, and am working hard at the acclimatizing.  I do the practice swims race style with just a swim suit, cap, goggles and ear plugs. I go into the water to my waist (which I have to walk into at the Mystic, but will just be a few steps on race day) and then I just go for it and swim! The first lap is really hard because the water is so cold on my face, but after about a lap it's just my hands that are cold. Then, the next few laps feel great - my whole body feels like it's burning, and I think I could do a half mile. But soon my hands start feeling icy, and my pulse point shoot off almost electric current. Zingy! And then I decide that 1/4 mile is just fine. Today it took about 13 minutes and the water was about 41-42. Last weekend I also did swims on Friday and Saturday, and dipping during the week. Of course, on race day it's going to be about 10 degrees colder in the water - wonder how that will go?

I'm officially on staycation for 10 days! Today was day 1, and I did parkour, went for brunch, went for my swim, and hung out on the couch. I did some cleaning at home as well - trying to go through things and throw/give away things I don't need.

Last week I went for a walk in the fells - I did a little bit different route because I wanted to check out Writes pond, which is another place we've talked about swimming. While walking over there I saw a coyote! My first big wildlife sighting in the fells - it was a good one. The coyote was pretty big and beautiful. It was trotting along - it looked at me and I looked at it and we were like 'sup? And then it trotted off, unfortunately in the direction I was going. I made some noise as I was walking, and I didn't see it again, though I did hear some noises coming from that area later on.

No comments:

Post a Comment