Thursday, February 17, 2022

Cold Swim, Day 2

I got neoprene gloves and booties and let me tell you, that's the secret to staying in 37 degree water longer! Today I went in for a good 4 minutes and treaded water. It was really cool - at first it felt freezing, but after a couple minutes only my hands felt really cold, the rest of me felt kind of numb. The water felt thicker or something, while I was treading water I was much more acutely aware of it moving around me. Eventually I decided I didn't want to get hyperthermia on my second swim, and I got out. That was the weirdest part - when I got out of the water my skin was numb enough that I couldn't feel anything. Plus, it was pretty warm out for February, and so I felt warm and tingly. I stood around sort of toweling off but also kind of not needing to. After, I ate a lot of chocolate. I think I'm hooked.

There were three women who swam out to the ice shelf today. I wasn't confident in my ability to use my arms and legs to swim, and to not drown. But, I would like to try doing a little swimming next time and see if maybe I could, with the goal of getting to the ice. It was a little melty today because it was warm out (in the 50's in the afternoon!) but I feel like it will get cold enough for the ice to come back.

Once again, I'm pretty tired after swimming. Bed.   

No comments:

Post a Comment