Sunday, July 14, 2019

Wildcats Redux


I don't know why, but I was bothered by Wildcat.  I really wanted to climb it. I've been thinking about it for two weeks! I did not have that problem with Cannon, or with Monadnock the time I twisted my ankle and decided to go down. But, it was bugging me.  So, today, off I went for my second attempt, and success!

I decided that since I already climbed the steep trail, I wasn't going to do it again. I would just go up and down the ski trail. Which was a very good idea. No walking on the road, and way easier on the way up. It was hot, I even wore a hat!  Wildcat ski resort has a gondola that takes people up to the top, so of course I hiked up there, and there were all these people sitting around, picnicking. In my head, I judged a little, and then judged myself for judging.

Looking at the map, going from Wildcat D to A looks like a nice ridgeline, with a little up and down. I can assure you, it is not. I got up Wildcat D again, and then from there it just went down down down.  I was scared, because I had to come up again at the end-ish of my hike. And then there was a lot of up. Because, of course, there's Wildcat B and C to go over. And A to climb. Once again, I had some Dark Trail Thoughts and thought about turning around because it was hot and humid and I was sweating like a pig, and I was a little nervous about the whole thing of walking away from my car still, when so tired.  I decided to get to the top of Wildcat C and assess.  On C, I ran into two nice women who said that it was easier from there.  I decided I should push on because #1 I never want to go on the Wildcats again and #2 I had already come down D, and was going to have to go back up.  I'm so glad that I went for it because the two women were right, it got easier, and before I knew it I was on top of Wildcat!

There's a really pretty view spot from the top of Wildcat, which probably gets crowded and not-view-y on some days, but I actually had the place to myself!  There was a tree with a nice curve to sit in and two nice spots in the rock that were almost like chairs.  With a sharp fall off them, because the view point was at the edge of a cliff.  The view of Carter Notch and the hut was gorgeous!  It's a long way down, and you definitely wouldn't want to step wrong from the view spot, that's for sure.  I sat and ate for a little, but there were a ton of black flies, so after a bit I had to leave.

The hike back was much easier - I realized just how uphill the hike there had been.  By the time I got back to the gondola it was closed for the night, and I had the top of the ski slope to myself.  There was a sign that said it took about 45 minutes to hike down, but I want to correct that - it took me over an hour, and I think I was making pretty good speed.  After I finished, I went to Joe Dodge Lodge and took a shower - I love that place!

No comments:

Post a Comment