It's still September but last night I got my dryrobe out of the attic for the full moon swim. The water is still pretty warm, it was 66 last night, but the air was colder and I was pretty sure I would want it. And I did. We had our full moon swim a couple days early because there's a noreaster coming through this weekend. It would be nice if the rain and weather could ruin the weekdays instead of the weekend, but what can you do?
Before the swim I went rowing and the water was surprisingly smooth. There weren't that many people there, and so I was in the boat with the big guys! Yay! I was in the two seat, even though I prefer starboard (so boo on that). It was still a kind of tough row because a lot of it was at a pretty slow pace, like 18, which makes it hard to keep the boat set, even with the really good rowers. And we had a new cox, which always adds an element. I'm finally getting the hang of early rollups, so I'm happy with that. Now I have to work more on keeping my body tight on the release and letting the boat bring me back to the catch instead of pulling with my legs. The last few weeks I have been in the stern a lot more, which I think is a sign that I'm getting a little better. It's too bad that the season is almost over, though I think there's some muscle memory there.
Last week I had to cox again. I was in the four with the guys and I was so nervous about it. It turned out OK, I didn't hit anything though apparently I did cut another boat off. Ooops. In fairness, she cut me off first. Anyhow, my proudest moment was navigating through the tricky bend in the river that has a bridge in just the wrong spot for rowing - I totally crushed it without anyone telling me what to do. It was pretty awesome!
Anyhow, for the swim we gathered around 9:30, chatted and hung out for a little bit, and then some of us went in for about 10 minutes or so. It was definitely more chill than most of our full moon swims, with only three of us really getting into the water all the way. The guy who organized it is not into the cold, and he stripped down to his swimsuit and then sat on the beach. After he brought out this fire setup that he has which is a propane tank attached to a burner that gives off a little fire but is super contained. We roasted marshmallows and ate smores. We did see a police car go buy at one point, or at least we saw the siren at the top, not the car, but they couldn't see us in our spot on the water. We are such rebels. It was a nice outing!
No comments:
Post a Comment